October 2, 2013

Making a non slip sanding pad for fragile woodwork


In the video I'm currently uploading to YouTube, I share how I made a sanding station for woodworking that allows you to sand hands free with no slippage of the work.  I simply cut a piece of 3/4" plywood for a base, rolled the mat over the plywood, then secured the left and right sides with
firing strips to clamp the liner down and trimmed off the excess.


The key is the type of mat used.  I used a Craftsman non-slip drawer liner that is made of a light, spongy feeling rubber that has small, even holes throughout.  This allows it to grab the work piece to be sanded and the base of the pad I built.


Here's a link to the Craftsman page if you're interested in this stuff: http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-non-slip-drawer-liner-roll/p-00965514000P?prdNo=7&blockNo=7&blockType=G7

Be sure to check out the video I'll post later today and see just how good it works.  With this setup, I can put a small fretwork piece on there and run a big belt sander over it and it never moves.

It's a dandy setup.  The video should be live on YouTube around 9am Central time today:

No comments:

Post a Comment