July 1, 2013

Are You Planning Your Fall Crop Yet?

Summer is upon us and while we're busy taking from the garden, it's a good idea to start thinking about getting ready to start seeds for a fall crop harvest in the garden.

I was browsing Johnny's Select Seeds, looking at snap clamps for my greenhouse frame (designed to secure shade cloth/GH film to my metal conduit frames), and found this handy guide to fall planting:

They also have a neat fall planting spreadsheet calculator that gives you a good idea on when to plant particular veggies in the summer for your fall harvest.  I'd say, from a rough look, half of the items can be planted in July.  So I've got to get thinking about it too.

The simple fact is, if you want to harvest throughout the fall, you gotta plant in the summer.  Some of the items can be direct sown and others can be started now indoors under grow lights and transplanted.  Check out the link via the pic above and start planning your fall garden now. ;-)



3 comments:

  1. I'm quite curious as to how to start a fall crop. How will you go about doing it with your summer crops taking up all the space?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of items I can start indoors. I'll be pulling the squash & zuke plants in a week or three also and the Rutgers tomatoes are determinate and will be done soon as well along with corn, etc.

      Delete
  2. Geez, I'm just now getting squash, zucchini, and tomatoes. My garden is behind a month, but doing well.I'm in the FS area too, but didn't get my plants going until late May.

    ReplyDelete